Home > Current Students > Scholarships and Grants > Merit and Need-Based Scholarships > Merit and Need-Based Scholarship Application Guidelines
Merit and Need-Based Scholarship Application Guidelines
Application and Recommendation Deadline: February 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM
You may submit an application after Autumn semester grades have been posted to your advising report. The application window will be from January 5, 2015 - February 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM.
Step 1: Combine the following two documents and save as one .pdf file
- When combining your documents, be certain to order them as follows: 1) personal statement and 2) advising report.
- As part of the application you will be asked to upload the following documents as one .pdf file. Only a .pdf file may be uploaded.
For help combining documents into one .pdf file, please see: How to merge PDF files.
- The document must be saved and named in the following format: Last Name_#_Merit Need-Based Funding Application.pdf.
(For example: Jane Buckeye.123 would save as Buckeye_123_Merit Need-Based Funding Application.pdf.)
- Personal Statement of 500 words or less that describes how receiving a merit and/or need-based scholarship would enhance your studies or achievement of an academic goal. If you have a research project in progress, for example, you might discuss ways in which the scholarship would assist you in conducting research (at OSU or elsewhere). In addition, describe how you have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership, and service within and outside the university during your time at OSU. If you have other academic or recent life experiences relevant to a merit and/or need-based scholarship (e.g. participation in Big Brothers, Big Sisters or other service organizations), or any special circumstances or reasons why you should be considered for a scholarship from the College of Arts and Sciences, please describe them.
The following must appear in the upper right-hand corner of your personal statement: Last Name, First Name and OSU ID.
- Advising Report - Please wait until after your Autumn grades have been posted before saving a copy of your advising report.
Go to Buckeye Link, login, then go to the Enrollment and Academic History section of the page to generate your advising report.
Step 2: Scholarship and fellowship information
You will be asked to enter the name and annual value of any scholarships and/or fellowships that you currently receive. If you need help identifying this information, please check your Statement of Account available on your Student Center and accessible via Buckeye Link, or check with the Student Service Center.
Step 3: Complete the online application form
Before submitting your application, review all information entered to ensure there are no errors; once you submit your application you will not be able to make any changes. Your personal statement and advising report must be ready to be uploaded as part of the online application.
Submit your online application here: Online Application (The online application is now closed.)
Applicants may submit an application after Autumn semester grades have been posted to your advising report. The application window will be from January 5, 2015 - February 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM.
Step 4: Request a letter of recommendation
Ask an OSU faculty member for a letter of recommendation. Your recommender will need to know the information listed below and the deadline for submission. The deadline is the same date/time that your online application is due. Provide your recommender with a link to this web page and direct him/her to Step 4.
Faculty Recommender - A student has asked you to write a recommendation letter on behalf of his/her application for a College of Arts and Sciences merit and/or need-based scholarship. In your letter, please address the student's academic work, research/creative activity, and connection of academic work in relation to his/her professional goals, as well as any additional information that may be helpful to the review committee.
- You will need to know the student's name.# (e.g. buckeye.123) and save in the following format in order for your recommendation to be correctly matched with the student's application.
- Please save your recommendation in the following format:
Student Last Name_#_Recommendation.pdf
For example: Jane Buckeye.123 would be saved as Buckeye_123_Recommendation.pdf.
- The following are acceptable file types: .doc, .docx, .pdf
Submit Recommendation Here (The online application and recommendation are now closed.)
Contact: Ann Rottersman, Director of Student Programs, email@example.com.