Arts and Humanities Small Grants
IMPORTANT! The A&H Small Grants Program is now closed for the 2017-2018 Academic Year
Funding for Arts and Humanities Small Grants
As part of its ongoing mission to support faculty and graduate student research and creative activity, the College of Arts and Sciences supports small grants for Arts and Humanities faculty during the 2017-2018 fiscal year. These grants are reviewed and awarded on a monthly basis, and over the past several years, funds for this program have run out before the end of the fiscal year.
- Please review details below for specific grant deadlines.
- All associate and full professors eligible to apply in each category once per fiscal year.
- Assistant professors who have exhausted their start-up funds are also eligible to apply.
- Faculty with individual research accounts must have exhausted those funds before applying for Small Grants.
- Retroactive applications (e.g., for completed travel) will not be considered.
- Grants cannot be used for subscriptions to journals available in University Libraries, the development of teaching materials used in the classroom, administrative expenses, the support of scholars visiting OSU, or to purchase a course release from teaching.
- Any equipment purchased with grant funds remains the property of The Ohio State University and is assigned to the TIU of the funding recipient.
- All applications require review and endorsement by the department Chair or school Director.
- Applications for a second award in a given category may be considered, if funding is available, but require departmental matching funds.
- Applications will only be accepted using Docusign form links below. No applications will be accepted through email. For more information on how to submit a proposal using DocuSign, please see DocuSign instructions [pdf].
- Please submit proposals using the links below. For questions, please contact Stephen Petrill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A. International Travel
- Grants up to $2,000.
- Used to defray expenses associated with international travel to conferences, research sites, and exhibition and performance sites.
- Alaska, Hawai’i, and Puerto Rico are considered international travel sites for this program.
B. Exhibition, Performance, and Studio Work
- Grants up to $1,500.
- Used to defray expenses associated with creation, presentation, and performance of creative work.
C. Manuscript Preparation
- Grants up to $1,500.
- Used to defray expenses associated with the physical preparation of a manuscript, online materials project, translation, or edition; the purchase of photographs, other images, or illustrations; the cost of permissions; and/or the cost of duplication and postage.
- The cost of book indexing is typically not allowed under the terms of this program.
D. Publication Subvention
- Available to all tenure-track faculty on all Ohio State campuses.
- Preference given to junior faculty requiring assistance to publish a single-authored monograph.
- Requires cost sharing: grant of up to $4,000, with the College and the relevant department or school each awarding 50% of the total amount.
- Available only to offset required subventions at established presses known to the university community.
- Subventions will not be provided to lower the market price of a manuscript accepted for publication.