- any current Ohio State undergraduate or graduate student
- available as a standalone graduate program
The 12-13.5 credit hour Marine Science Certificate will provide undergraduate and graduate students with a competitive advantage in pursuing careers in marine science in the private and public sectors or pursuing entrance into a graduate degree program in marine science. The certificate is designed to enhance both critical thinking and the technical skills in marine science.
View course requirements below and visit the School of Earth Sciences website for more guidelines.
Required core course (3 credits):
- EARTHSC 5206: Advanced Oceanography (3)
Elective courses (9 credits): In addition, students will select from the courses listed below.
- EARTHSC 4450: Water, Ice and Energy in the Earth System (3)
- EARTHSC 5622: Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry (3)
- EARTHSC 5602.02: Carbonate Depositional Systems (3)
- EARTHSC 5780: Reflection Seismology (4)
- GEOG 5900: Climatology (3)
- EEOB 5410: Ocean Ecology (1.5)
- EEOB 5430: Fish Ecology (3)
- EEOB 4230: Focused study on ecology and evolution of invertebrates (2)
- ENR 5614: Marine and aquatic education (2)
Of these electives, no more than one of:
- GEOG 5210: Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems (3)
- EARTHSC 5310: Remote Sensing in the Earth Sciences (3)
- CIVILEN 5001: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4)