- any current Ohio State undergraduate or graduate student
- anyone with a bachelor’s degree
- available as a standalone graduate program
The 13-15 credit hour Petroleum Geology Certificate will provide undergraduate and graduate students with a competitive advantage in beginning a career in the oil and gas industry or pursuing entrance into a graduate degree program within the field of petroleum geoscience. The certificate is designed to enhance both critical thinking and the technical skills necessary for practicing petroleum geoscience.
View course requirements below and visit the School of Earth Sciences website for more guidelines.
Required core courses (7 credits):
- EARTHSC 5661: Petroleum Geology (4)
- EARTHSC 5189.01: Field Geology I (3) Summer term**
Elective courses (6-8 credits): In addition, students will select two more courses (6-8 credits) listed below.
- EARTHSC 5189.02: Field Geology II (3) Summer term
- EARTHSC 4560: Applied Geophysics (3)
- EARTHSC 5687: Borehole Geophysics (3)
- EARTHSC 5751: Quantitative Reservoir Modeling (4)
- EARTHSC 5780: Reflection Seismology (4)
**Students with prior comparable field geology coursework may substitute an additional elective in place of EARTHSC 5189.01.