The Rising Star Awards support programs in Arts and Sciences Office of Undergraduate Recruitment, which serves Ohio State’s undergraduate student population. The awards are part of the College of Arts and Sciences recruitment, retention and recognition program for undergraduate students.
Consistent with the university’s mission, the Rising Star Awards, funded from the general Arts and Sciences Scholarship Fund, shall be used to support educational diversity at the university. The fund shall be used to provide up to ten undergraduate awards to be given to students at the end of their first year of enrollment.
This award is designed to support ten one-time awards at $500 each, but the committee has the discretion to award more or fewer awards, and a greater or lesser amount of dollars for each award, depending on the pool of applicants. The awards will be one-time awards with new students selected each year.
Eligible students are those first year students who have declared majors in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Necessary criteria for eligibility:
- GPA 3.0 or above and completed resume
Other criteria that will be considered at the committee’s discretion:
- Outstanding participation in the Program for Advancing Scholarship & Service (PASS) (using sign-in sheets & other attendance record)
- Active involvement in other campus organizations (documentation from organization official)
- Demonstration of initiative evidenced by internships, leadership in campus organizations, steps towards research and study abroad, interest in PASS peer leadership, and any additional input from peer leader about any student who has demonstrated superior leadership skills
- Active participation in community service
Students should self-nominate by filling out the application link below. Please note the other criteria required at the end of the document.
Completed applications should be mailed or emailed to:
161A Denney Hall
164 Annie and John Glenn Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Award recipients will be chosen by a selection committee in the College of Arts and Sciences. The university may modify any selection criteria should the criteria be found, in whole or in part, to be contrary to federal or state law or university policy.