The Ohio State University Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts is a vibrant community committed to nurturing the artist- scholars of the future. We believe new work is essential to the evolution and continued relevance of the theatre. To that end we provide rich opportunities for students to build new work on their own terms and in projects guided by faculty. At the same time, we emphasize study of the theatre’s diverse histories and influences, demanding that scholarship informs our practice as practice informs our scholarship.
- Undergraduate – BA, Theatre
- Graduate – MA, Theatre; MFA, Acting; MFA, Design; PhD, Theatre
- Ohio State/Royal Shakespeare Company Partnership: focused on teaching artistry and community outreach
- Czech Theatre Culture: students spend two weeks in Prague, focused on Eastern European theatrical design
- London Theatre Program: students spend four weeks in London, seeing 25 or more plays and studying contemporary production
Facilities and Institutes
- Thurber Theatre
proscenium style stage seating 600
- Roy Bowen Theatre
thrust style stage seating 250
- New Works Laboratory
space for new and experimental works
- The Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee Theatre Research Institute
one of the top three theatre collections in the country. An archive for performers, playwrights, choreographers, designers, producing organizations, and theatre and dance companies
More than 20 full-time faculty members offer a strong program in devising, playwriting, acting, film-making, theatre history, performance studies and design. The faculty is active nationally and internationally, and is enriched regularly by visiting artists and scholars.