Post Opportunities to Handshake!
The Ohio State University now uses Handshake to connect students with employers for jobs, internships, co-ops, and career opportunities. If you are new to using our services, please:
- Review the Employer Policies for Use of Services
- Register for Handshake at osu.joinhandshake.com/login
When posting, be detailed and specific. Students and recent graduates respond more strongly to a direct and transparent job description that includes a brief overview of your organization and its culture, and clearly outlines their day-to-day duties and responsibilities. Avoid ambiguous phrases and, if possible, omit specialized terminology and acronyms.
For general tips review the following: 10 Secrets to Writing a Great Job Post
For additional information on recruiting at Ohio State, or for advice on developing a posting, please contact Scott Kustis at Kustis.firstname.lastname@example.org, or 614-247-8698.
For technical issues registering, logging in, or using the system please contact ASC Career Success at email@example.com.
If you are seeking alumni who graduated more than four academic terms ago, please contact the Bill and Susan Lhota Office of Alumni Career Management.
Why use Handshake?
- Reach all students with one posting: All students at Ohio State are connected to the Handshake system which means you can target students from all majors, degree levels, and colleges.
- Customize your postings for specific candidate groups: Your postings may be targeted to all students, or you can screen based on criteria such as major, GPA, or expected graduation date.
- Flexibility in how you receive resumes: You can opt to have resumes sent directly to a designated recruiting coordinator, allow Handshake to hold the submitted resumes for a recruiter to log in and review, or direct candidates to your internal application system.
- Request on-campus interviews: Posting with Handshake allows you to request on-campus interview dates, which can include candidates from other colleges in addition to Arts and Sciences.
- Increase brand awareness among students: Completing your company's profile in Handshake allows proactive students to research your organization before applying or interviewing
Resume Book Access
Handshake does not offer access to the types of resume books used in the past. Handshake allows customizable search based on criteria such as major, class level, or graduation date. Search results can be downloaded into PDF file.
If you're looking to download applicant resumes or what is frequently referred to as a 'resume book', you can do so yourself from your Handshake account!
To access your applicants on Handshake, you'll want to first select the particular Job or Interview you're interested in to access the direct list of students that have applied. (Read more on how to do this here)
Standard Recruiting Options
The best way to effectively build your brand is to engage directly with students while on campus. Below are several methods that have been proven successful. For additional information about setting up any of these activities please contact Scott Kustis at Kustis.firstname.lastname@example.org. Employers conducting these activities should have active postings in Handshake.
Employers who schedule on-campus interviews increase the visibility of their organization and demonstrate commitment to hiring candidates from the College of Arts and Sciences at The Ohio State University. Whether you are seeking to recruit candidates with a liberal arts education, technical knowledge gained from studies in the sciences, or creative talents shaped by coursework in the Arts, we can assist you with sourcing the right intern or entry-level employee. We can also work with your to set up a schedule that allows students from multiple college units to interview in our space. Best of all, this service is free to you and convenient for students!
Request an Interview Day
Through handshake: osu.joinhandshake.com/login
Benefits of conducting on-campus interviews:
- Scheduling assistance: The Handshake system has the functionality to set up a schedule for you. We handle all the back end details of formulating a schedule. You simply log in and select the candidates you wish to interview and the system does all the rest. We have technical customer support to assist you through this process as well!
- Convenience: Not only is it more convenient for students to fit an interview into their schedules when on campus, but employers often find it easier to evaluate candidates if they are interviewed back to back.
- Student response rates: Students often apply in greater numbers to on-campus positions due to the convenience factor as well as the perception that these are “real” interview opportunities.
- Promotion: On-campus interview postings receive additional marketing support through our office via customized email promotions to students in the targeted majors.
- Networking: While on-campus your team can meet members of the careers services staff and develop a closer working relationship with our office.
- Facilities: Our dedicated interview suite features a quiet lobby area for students, a break room for employer representatives, and easy access to a number of restaurants on and near campus. Parking vouchers for up to two representatives is included.
For more information about the on-campus interview process, please contact Scott Kustis at Kustis.email@example.com or 614-247-8698. Alternately, you may submit on-campus interview schedule requests directly through your account at https://osu.joinhandshake.com/login.
For maps and parking:
- Ohio State operates on a semester system and holds three commencements per year (December, May, and August). For a full calendar of the academic year: http://registrar.osu.edu/staff/bigcal.asp
- Before requesting a campus visit, please read our Employer Policies for Use of Services and review our terms of service.
Mock and Informational Interviews
Career Fairs and Expos
The career fairs listed here are sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences Center for Career and Professional Success. All students, regardless of major, are welcome and encouraged to attend. Ohio State sponsors a number of other career fairs throughout the academic year; for a complete list, visit the Buckeye Careers website.
Benefits to attending our career fairs include:
- The College of Arts and Sciences is a great “one stop shop” where you can find students from technical, scientific, and artistic disciplines. Nearly half of all undergrads from Ohio State have an Arts and Sciences degree. Our career fairs are the easiest way of finding candidates across a wide range of majors.
- Organizations seeking diversity will find an Arts and Sciences career fair a great place to source talent!
- All students at Ohio State are welcome and encouraged to attend our fairs. You will find students representing colleges across the university.
- All degree levels are represented at our fairs – you can source undergraduate talent as well as those with advanced degrees!
- The Center works closely with academic departments to send customized recruiting information to students in specific programs of interest. This drives more of the students you seek to find to the event.
In conjunction with your career fair participation, you can maximize your time on campus by scheduling one or all of the following:
- Arrange an information session before or after the career fair
- Conduct on-campus interviews of selected candidates
- Speak to workshop attendees or serve as a mock interviewer
For more information check out the links above or contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-3366
Enhanced Recruiting Options
Career Connections Networking Events**
Alumni and industry professionals connect with students in to share insights on job search tactics and career paths, as well as discuss what students must do to land internship opportunities or full-time employment. A panel of professionals is often featured, as well as speed or casual networking sessions.
**Alumni Oriented Event
Career Conferences and Symposia
Students attend workshops, panel discussions, and interactive sessions to learn powerful job search techniques and hear from successful Arts and Sciences alumni and industry professionals about topics such as, building your elevator pitch and how to properly work with recruiters. As experts in your fields, we hope you attend to mentor, coach, and network with students.
Coffee Chats & Executive Coffee Chats **
Coffee chats give students the opportunity to meet and network with recent alumni, who offer college to career transition advice, in a casual setting. Executive level coffee chats give students direct access to alumni more advanced in their careers, who discuss the long-term value of an Arts and Sciences degree, while offering advice on how students can advance their careers.
**Alumni Oriented Event
Students meet periodically throughout the semester to develop personal and professional skills, as well as career readiness competencies, such as communication or leadership skills. Various topical areas are chosen each year, and industry partners are invited to act as facilitators, sit on panels, participate in networking sessions, or function as mentors for students.
Job Shadow Program
Individual students spend time with alumni and industry professionals at an employer’s site, observe the professionals there, and learn more about the opportunities related to their career interests. Many job shadow days take place during fall and spring break, so we are open to sites in the central Ohio region as well as nationwide.
Life Beyond Degree (LBD) **
A program that focuses on connecting students in a specific major with alumni that graduated with the same degree. Students increase their awareness of career options and career readiness competencies, hone their networking skills, and learn about the variety of career paths they can pursue.
**Alumni Oriented Event
- Share what diversity means in your organization
- Connect with students and recent graduates who value workplace diversity
- Inform career-oriented students about the internships and other types of work-based learning opportunities available in your organization
- Broaden your recruitment of seniors and recent graduates for entry-level employment
Diverse Student Organization Outreach
An effective way to reach targeted student groups is through involvement with student organizations. Employers can maximize their organization's visibility on campus by publicizing their campus events and internship and job opportunities. A list of diversity-focused Arts and Sciences and university student organizations is available below.
Arts and Sciences Diversity Student Organizations
Buckeyes for Appalachia
Chinese Psychology Student Association
Future Ladies of Scientific Study
Korean Economy Study Club
Minority Psychology Student Association
Society of Minority Scientists
Society of Sisters
Society of Women in Physics
Undergraduate Black Law Student Association
Weddington Society for Future Healthcare Professionals
Women in Math and Science
Other Diversity Student Organizations at Ohio State
Cross Cultural Prospective Business Professionals
International Student Career-Building Association
Japanese Communications Society
Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers
American Indian Science and Engineering Society
Band of Brothers
Multicultural Students in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences
Oi Brasil! Portuguese Club
How to Get Involved
Employers have the opportunity to connect with first-year Arts and Sciences students who have a shared interest in the academic, cultural, career, and community benefits of diversity.
Employers who are seeking access to diverse, high achieving students who are active in their local and campus communities are invited to attend designated student group meetings held throughout the semester. A portion of the meeting will be dedicated to the employer, who will have the opportunity to present information about their organization, including their internships or other career-oriented programs.
If your organization is interested in learning more or becoming involved please contact Scott Kustis, Director of Industry Connections at the Center for Career and Professional Success at 614-247-8698 or by email at email@example.com.