The Center for Career and Professional Success is excited to be working with VMock to help you get up-to-the-minute resume feedback, available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
VMock is an online AI-based resume review service, that can help you improve your resume in minutes. It is designed to help make your resume more impactful through stronger wording, better layouts and a larger focus on the skills you bring to the table, all in an easy to navigate platform. Be sure to meet with a Career Coach after you use VMock and talk about the next steps in your journey!
What is VMock?
Ready to jump in? Here are some step-by-step instructions to help you get started. You may also want some more personalized help, which you can explore in our "Other Resources!"
Benefits of VMock
Easy to use online interface you can access with your Ohio State login credentials. Available anytime, day or night!
Share your feedback with your Career Coach, your advisors and instructors, your peers or your mentor with the click of a button!
By "scoring" your resume based off benchmarks from other student resumes in your field, it's easy to review your resume, make the changes, and resubmit it to see your score improve.
How to use VMock
Wondering how to use this powerful tool? Here's a step by step instruction guide for your use:
- Log in by going to vmock.com/osucareersuccess. Click on the red Continue with University ID button, and log in using your OSU name.# and password.
Note: VMock is only accessible by Arts and Sciences students. If you aren't in an ASC major, you will be denied entry to the platform. If you do have an ASC major and are being denied email Alex Lane.388 or email@example.com.
- If this is your first time VMock will ask you for your major and year. This will make sure you are receiving the most personalized feedback possible. You can change your major and year later on the Settings page.
- On the main page, upload your resume to VMock in PDF form by clicking on the blue Upload Resume button in the center of the page. Once it’s successfully uploaded, VMock will analyze your resume which normally takes about 15-30 seconds.
- Once your resume your is analyzed, VMock will give your resume a score out of 100, show you where you fall on a bell curve and give a breakdown for each of the three main sections they grade on: Impact, Presentation and Competencies. Click the blue View Detailed Feedback button to get more information.
- The next screen breaks each of the three main sections into 5 additional subsections. If that area is green, you’ve done a great job, if it’s yellow you’ve done an ok job, and if it’s red that section needs attention. You can hover your mouse over any subsection to get a clearer idea of what VMock is looking for. Click the blue View Detailed Feedback button again to see your line-by-line feedback.
- On the right, you can click on any line of your resume that’s highlighted in any of the three colors and see why it’s being graded the way it is, and gain suggestions to improve it. On the left are the three main sections which will show the five subsections when you click on any of them. Each subsection will give reasons as to the grading and can offer suggestions on how to improve and provide examples of the concepts they’re demonstrating.
- By clicking on Insights you can also see Arts and Sciences specific benchmarking information, such as number of words per section, number of sections, common words used etc.
- After you’ve viewed each of the three main areas click on Targeted Feedback in the top left to go from line-by-line feedback to section specific feedback. This will allow you to receive information and advice related to the structure of your resume and make sure it’s as powerful as possible.
- Once you’ve reviewed all the feedback and made changes to your resume, re-upload it via the homepage and see how much you’ve increased your score! Keep repeating it until you’re satisfied or you’ve reached the green zone! Keep in mind that each resume is unique and not all of the feedback may apply to your specific resume. This may in some cases prevent you from reaching the green zone, which is completely fine as long as you feel good. If you want more guidance on your resume, schedule an appointment with your Career Coach, or attend our walk in hours in Denney Hall 100.
- You can also get external feedback on your resume by clicking on Ask for Network Feedback in the top right of either the System or Targeted Feedback pages. Send it to a mentor, a family member, a member of the Career Success team, or whomever you like.
- Once you’re satisfied with your resume, schedule an appointment with your Career Coach to talk about what the next steps in your career journey should be!
Walk-In Resume Reviews: Prefer one-on-one interaction with a trained Peer Career Coach who can give you immediate feedback and explain why certain practices are recommended? Come to our walk-in hours in Denney Hall!
Career Success Quick Chat: Have a quick question about your resume, how to schedule an appointment, or where we're located? Try our Quick Chat program!
Meet with a Career Coach: Once your resume is looking good, a Career Coach can help you with your internship or job search, prepare an application, or prepare for an interview!