Situated on the university’s Oval, Hayes Hall was built in 1893 and is the oldest existing building on campus. Named for Rutherford B Hayes, U.S. president and three-time governor of Ohio, it was constructed in the Romanesque style of architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hayes Hall was completely renovated in 2010 as part of the comprehensive plan to make significant improvements to the university’s arts facilities. Today, the revitalized facility houses all three Department of Design programs together in one building. These programs – interior design, industrial design, and visual communication design – are housed on the first and second floors, with new spaces on the second floor that were reconfigured to create open studios for student work.
Having all of the design programs in such close proximity to one another opens the door for much student interaction, creativity and collaboration.
Hayes Hall is centrally located amid other arts facilities, including Hopkins Hall (art), Hughes and Weigel Halls (music) and the internationally known Wexner Center for the Arts, which houses galleries and a café. Nearby public parking is available in the Ohio Union South Parking Garage, 1759 High St., with entrances on High Street and College Road.
- Department of Design