#mentalhealthDaNCe2U Performance and Panel Tour
Date: Sunday, April 26, 2020
Location: Studio 390 Sullivant Hall
Time: 11:30a.m. -12:45 p.m.
Host: Department of Dance
Ohio State Dance and BalletMet2 Collaborative 2019-2020 Tour utilizes dance to ignite discussion about mental health issues with two 20th Century choreographic masterworks excerpts: the ballet The Four Temperaments by George Balanchine and the modern dance Rooms by Anna Sokolow.
#mentalhealthDaNCe2U tours two masterworks in the dance canon to foster discussion about mental health and its stigma, Anna Sokolow’s Rooms from 1954 set to music by Kenyon-Hopkins and George Balanchine’s The Four Temperaments from 1946 set to music by Hindemith. The Four Temperaments refers to the four humors of the Ancient Greek Philosophy: sanguine, choleric, melancholic, and phlegmatic. Rooms, sections “Alone” (isolation), “Panic” (anxiety), “Desire” (unrequited love), “The End” (inner turmoil) and “Daydream” (feelings of longing) all align with aspects of mental health in today’s society.
The performances will serve as the vehicle for a mental health panel afterwards whose purpose is to facilitates awareness and to reduce the stigma around those who experience mental health challenges.
- Friday, November 1, 2019, 12 - 1:30 p.m. - Ohio State Mansfield, Founders Auditorium
- Friday, November 8, 2019, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Ohio State Libraries, Thompson Library, 11th Floor
- Friday January 24, 2020, 12:15 -1:15 p.m. - Ohio State Lima, Martha W. Farmer Theatre for the Performing Arts, Reed Hall
- Friday, January 31, 2020, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. - Ohio State Newark, The Black Box Theater
- Friday, February 7, 2020, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. - Ohio State Marion, and the co-located technical college
- Sunday, April 26, 2020, 11:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. - Ohio Dance Festival, Sullivant Hall, Studio 390
These events are free and open to the public. For more information click here.