Global Education Funding is designed for undergraduate arts and sciences majors who are currently enrolled on the Columbus campus.
To be eligible for funding, the global education program must be a credit-bearing study abroad program that is approved by Ohio State. This funding does not apply to service learning programs or internships. Please see the Office of International Affairs global education search engine for a listing of Ohio State-approved study abroad programs. Students may apply for funding before being admitted to their program.
Application for the Keith and Linda Monda Scholarships, the International Study Abroad Fund awards, the humanities major scholarships, and the arts major scholarships listed below may be completed through one online application.
There are two deadlines each year depending on when you plan to study abroad.
- Autumn 2023 Deadline: Monday, October 9, 2023, at 4 p.m.
Applies to funding for winter break 2023, spring semester 2024, and spring break 2024 global education programs.
- Spring 2024 Deadline: Monday, January 15, 2024, at 4 p.m.
Applies to funding for all summer 2024, autumn semester (only) 2024, and academic year 2024 – 2025 global education programs.
Please Note: Ohio State continues to monitor the global outbreak of COVID-19 and take appropriate steps to ensure the health and well-being of the campus community. The Office of International Affairs will provide regular updates and guidance for students relating to international travel. The Office of International Affairs COVID-19 updates and global education program viability decision dates are posted here.
Need-based scholarships open to Columbus campus undergraduate students with a declared major in the arts and sciences. Financial need will be determined by the Financial Aid Office based on information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must have a current FAFSA on file with Ohio State in order to be considered for these scholarships. Awards are made twice each year.
Open to Columbus campus undergraduate students who plan to study abroad as part of an Ohio State-approved global education program and who have a declared major in International Studies.
The following six scholarships are open to Columbus campus undergraduate students who plan to participate in an Ohio-State approved global education program and who have a declared major in a humanities discipline. Awards are made once each year.
The Edmund M. Kagay Scholarship
Competition for the Edmund M. Kagay Scholarship is open to full-time undergraduate students with a declared major in a humanities discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 and above and a planned language global education program. Awards will be made on the basis of academic merit.
The Forrest and Marjorie Miller Endowed Fund for Education Abroad
Provides one travel award per year for a student majoring in Italian, French, or Spanish who has a 3.0 (or higher) cumulative grade point average. Additionally, the student must be ranked as a junior or higher at the time of travel.
The Humanities Alumni Scholarship
Competition for Humanities Alumni scholarships is open to full-time undergraduate students with a declared major in a humanities discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 and above, and a planned global education program. Awards will be made on the basis of academic merit. Preference will be given to sophomores or juniors.
Richard and Karol Wells Scholarship
Competition for the Richard and Karol Wells Education Abroad Scholarships is open to undergraduates with a declared major in a humanities discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4, and a planned global education program.
Robert and Mary Reusché Scholarship for Education Abroad
Competition for the Robert and Mary Reusché College of Humanities Education Abroad Scholarship is open to undergraduates with a declared major in a humanities discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3, and a planned global education program. Preference will be given to, but not limited to, students pursuing a major or minor in a foreign language.
Virginia S. Hull Scholarship
Competition for the Virginia S. Hull scholarship for global education is open to undergraduates with a declared major in a humanities discipline and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4 and above. This scholarship is limited to those planning to study abroad in Spain, Portugal, France, or Italy.
Open to Columbus campus undergraduate students who plan to study abroad as part of an Ohio State-approved global education program and who have a declared major in an arts discipline. Awards are made once each year.
Margaret Noell Kindberg Memorial Fund for the Arts
Open to undergraduates with a declared major in an arts discipline and a planned Ohio State-approved global education program.
Please contact individual departments for application information:
- Department of Anthropology: Travel Award
- Department of Classics: Scholarships and Awards
- Department of Design: Reinhart Butter Fund for Study Abroad
- Department of English: The Arnold and Frances Shapiro International Scholarship
- Department of French and Italian: French Scholarships & Italian Scholarships
- Department of History: Undergraduate Scholarship Information
- Department of Political Science: Global Education Scholarships
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese: LoAnn Crane Award & Rymer Travel Award
- Center for Slavic and East European Studies: Polish Studies Initiative
- Center for Languages, Literatures and Cultures: Huntington International Fellowships
- International Studies Program: Fred C. and E. Maxine Moose Bruhns Scholarship for Study in the Middle East
- Melton Center for Jewish Studies
Scholarships for international research within the College of Arts and Sciences. Limited to undergraduate students. These grants are administered by the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program. However, students do not have to be in the Honors Program in order to apply for funding.
- Office of International Affairs
- University global education scholarship information
- Financial planning to help you find ways to fund your study abroad.
- Getting Started sessions to help you select a study abroad program that is the best fit for you
- Online database of Ohio State global education programs searchable by academic discipline, country, language, program length, time of year, etc.
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion