The Arts and Sciences Alumni Society Board consists of representatives from the arts, humanities, natural and mathematical sciences and social and behavioral sciences.
The Arts and Sciences Alumni Society seeks to engage alumni with The Ohio State University and the college via communication and events that both engage and empower alumni, while supporting current students in preparation for a successful transition to being Buckeyes for Life.
- Serve as advocates for The Ohio State University and the College of Arts and Sciences
- Engage and connect alumni through collaboration with the Ohio State Alumni Association, Arts and Sciences engagement staff and college alumni organizations
- Engage students and alumni of all ages with consideration for diversity and inclusion through empowering programming
- Support communication of success stories of Arts and Sciences alumni and students
Political Science, 1981
Political Science, Student Representative
Criminology & Criminal Justice, 2006
Political Science, Student Representative
International Studies, 1990
Astronomy, 1998 & 2000
International Studies, 1992
William (Billy) Haines
PAST PRESIDENT ADVISORY
Political Science, 1974
Fine Arts, 1980
Medical Technology, 1966
Political Science and Economics, 2018
- Awards and Honors Committee: Facilitate search and nomination process for Arts and Sciences nominees for the various college and university-level alumni awards; look for ways to recognize faculty and staff with honors and awards; manage society progress toward eligibility for the Ohio State University Alumni Association Society Awards.
- Communications Committee: Responsible for internal communications of board to include bi-monthly reports and “shared drive” for board material; promote external communications via various social media and website.
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee: Ensure diversity and inclusion has strong consideration in the planning of alumni activities and events.
- Events Committee: Fundraising for the alumni society’s student scholarship fund (primarily via silent auction at Homecoming Tailgate); coordinate yearly alumni events with Arts and Sciences engagement staff.
- Nominating Committee: Bring forth outstanding candidates from the Arts and Sciences alumni population for consideration to serve on the board; nominate current board members with successful board tours to serve on the board’s executive committee.
- Strategic Planning/Board Governance Committee: Develop and continually update the board’s strategic plan, by-laws and constitution to ensure relevancy with the Ohio State University Alumni Association and the College of Arts of Sciences; ensure the board is structured to perform as specified in the governing documents.
- Undergraduate Student Professional Development Committee: Develop programs for alumni to provide career advice to current Arts and Sciences and recent graduates; discover the evolving needs of students and interests of alumni in this area; focus on inclusive career mentoring opportunities for students and alumnae residing within and outside of Columbus; encourage diversity in all aspects of Arts and Sciences programming.
- Young Alumni Committee: Implement activities online and in-person to encourage alumni networking across generations of Buckeyes; create strategy for engaging young alumni through events and social media; discover needs and interests of the young alumni.
- Student Ambassadors: Assist the Alumni Society Board and the Office of Advancement with alumni and donor events and programs; includes monthly meetings with guest speakers as well as community service events with the Ohio State University Alumni Association and the Alumni Society Board.
Ohio State Alumni Membership Open to All Graduates
Membership in the Ohio State Alumni Association is now open to all graduates; individuals who have earned associate, bachelor, graduate, professional or honorary degrees from Ohio State, as well as medical resident graduates of the university. There are now three levels of membership: Life Members, Sustaining Members and Basic Members.
The opportunity to purchase life memberships was discontinued at the end of June 2012; however, Life Members who joined before then will retain their full benefits.
The annual and associate membership categories have been discontinued. Graduates can now become Sustaining Members through annual gifts of at least $75 to any Ohio State fund(s), including funds in the College of Arts and Sciences. See complete list of Arts and Sciences funds.
An entire annual gift does not have to go to one fund. Cumulative giving will be tracked over a calendar year, and when gifts equal or exceed $75, the donor will become a Sustaining Member. Sustaining Members will be eligible for premium benefits, including a year’s subscription to the print version of Ohio State Alumni Magazine and eligibility for the annual football ticket lottery.
Graduates and non-graduates who were members of the Ohio State Alumni Association as of July 1, 2012, can continue as Sustaining Members with an annual gift of $75 or more to the university.
Graduates who do not choose to make an annual gift of $75 or more will become basic members and will receive affinity products, an online magazine, and other benefits. They will not be eligible to participate in the football ticket lottery.
Football Lottery Eligibility
Football lottery eligibility will be based on an alumnus’s previous year of giving. To be eligible for the annual ticket lottery, graduates must be Sustaining Members as of December 31 of the previous year.
Call: (800) 762-5646 or (614) 292-2281
The Ohio State University Alumni Association, Inc.
2200 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43210