Research and Creative Activity Funding
Undergraduate students are encouraged to explore research projects and creative activity and Arts and Sciences offers funding to help address related costs. Many funds below are for majors in specific areas, this list will help you determine what area your major is a part of.
Students are encouraged to contact their major department(s) and the Undergraduate Research Office for information on other sources of funding.
Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Scholarships
Scholarships for research within the College of Arts and Sciences. Limited to undergraduate students. These scholarships are administered by the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program. However, students do not have to be in the Honors Program in order to apply for funding.
International Research Grants for Undergraduates in Arts and Sciences
Scholarships for international research within the College of Arts and Sciences. Limited to undergraduate students. These grants are administered by the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program. However, students do not have to be in the Honors Program in order to apply for funding.
Arts Undergraduate Research Scholarships
John Fergus Family Fund
The John Fergus Family Scholarship is a juried art competition open to studio-based visual art and design students at The Ohio State University. Students submit their work for review by a jury of faculty from the departments of Art; Arts Administration, Education and Policy; Design; and History of Art. Scholarship winners receive a $1,000 scholarship applied to their student account and exhibit at the annual Fergus Scholarship Award Exhibition, a group exhibition at Ohio State's Urban Arts Space featuring work selected from the scholarship recipients' application.
- Aug. 21: Applications Open
- Nov. 4: Applications Due
- Nov. 12: Supplemental Materials Due via buckeyebox link
- Late November through early December: Scholarship Notification via Ohio State email
- Dec. 9–20: Artwork Drop Off at Hopkins Hall Gallery
- Jan. 7–24: Exhibition at Hopkins Hall Gallery
The John Fergus Family Scholarship is available to full-time undergraduate (12 credit hours) and graduate students (8 credit hours) at The Ohio State University enrolled in a degree-granting program in the Departments of Art; Arts Administration, Education and Policy; History of Art; or Design. Eligible students must not have outstanding fee balances on their student account for Autumn Semester of the current academic year.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit works that will not be, or have not been, exhibited in Urban Arts Space and Hopkins Hall Gallery. Selected work must be available for the exhibition. Failure to provide work selected for the exhibition could result in disqualification and rescinding of the award.
To submit artwork for jury review, Applicants should complete an initial application via the below link. Within three business days of application, the applicant will receive a BuckeyeBox link via their Ohio State email address to upload images of their artwork for review. Applications are not complete until images have been received.
Uploaded materials should contain:
- No more than six images of works (Allowed file types: gif, jpg, png, eps, tif, pdf, avi, mov, mp3, wav)
- A PDF or word doc detailing credit information for each work (title, materials, year, size or original duration)
- Please specify in the credit if a video is documentation or if an image is a detail
- Video files must be no more than 2 minutes in length
Students must carefully read and follow all guidelines and instructions. Submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines, or are submitted after the deadline, may not be eligible for an award.
All applications are due by Nov. 4, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Images must be uploaded by Nov. 12, 2019.
The John Fergus Family Scholarship was established with gifts from John C. and Elizabeth O. Fergus, and Robert H. Fergus, in honor of their mother, Edith Fergus-Gilmore.
Arts and Humanities Undergraduate Research Small Grants
The Undergraduate Research Small Grants Program is designed to enhance opportunities for undergraduate students in Arts & Humanities to conduct research/creative activity by offering financial support of up to $500 on a competitive basis. Grants will be given as cash awards to each student’s tuition account.
If the applicant plans to use the funds in the spring, they should apply in the prior fall semester, and if they plan to use the funds during the summer or fall, they should apply in the prior spring semester.
For additional information contact the Arts & Sciences Associate Dean’s Office, 614-292-4063.
- Center for Cognitive and Behavioral Brain Imaging Research Grants
- Center for Ethnic Studies Grants
- Undergraduate Travel and Research Grants in Jewish Studies
- Ohio State Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry
- Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research
- Departmental Funding — some departments offer funding for currently enrolled students
- Edward G. Mayers Scholarships - for natural and mathematical sciences majors