ASC Student Council
The primary goal of the Arts and Sciences Student Council is to build community among arts and sciences undergraduate students, faculty and administration on the Columbus campus. In support of this goal, the Arts and Sciences Student Council offers a variety of academic, social and service activities. They oversee the annual Outstanding Teaching Awards and the annual OSU Graduate and Professional School Fair. In addition, Student Council members serve on various college committees including the Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee and the Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Advisory Board.
All Arts and Sciences undergraduate majors are invited to join the Student Council. Meetings are held on a regular basis and offer both leadership opportunities as well as a way for students to meet many of their peers.
Arts and Sciences Student Constitution [pdf]
2016 - 2017 Meetings
Spring 2017 meetings will be held on Wednesdays from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Maudine Cow Room, lower level of the Ohio Union.
2017 - 2018 Executive Board
2017 - 2018 Directors & Event Chairs
- Director OTA/OGATA – Gus Wulsin (OTA) & TBD (OGATA)
- Assistant Director for Graduate and Professional School Fair – Ellen DeWitt
- Director for Meet the Professor and Guest Lecturer – Niki Grotewold
- Director for Meet the Dean – Avery Kaminski
- Social Events Chair – Sakhee Sakhardande
- Service Events Chair – Laura Keister
- A&H Divisional Representative – Chelsea Wollett
- NMS Divisional Representative – Keith Hansz
- SBS Divisional Representative – TBD
2017 - 2018 Curriculum Committee Representative
- Collin Ries
2017 - 2018 Dean's Student Advisory Board Representatives
- Ian Davis - SBS Division Representative
- Niki Grotewold – NMS Division Representative
- TBD – A&H Division Representative
Arts and Sciences Senate Representatives
Niki Grotewold (NMS Division Representative ) for 2016 – 2017
Mariah Haitz (SBS Division Representative) for 2016 - 2017
Kaylee Ramsey (Interdisciplinary Studies Representative) for 2016 - 2017
Graduate and Professional School Fair
The Arts and Sciences Student Council hosts an annual OSU Graduate and Professional School Fair. This event is open to all Ohio State undergraduate students and offers an opportunity to learn about Ohio State’s many graduate and professional school enrollment options.
"Meet the Professor"
Join Arts and Sciences Student Council for free pizza and an informal conversation with members of the arts and sciences faculty.
Dr. Hollie Nyseth Brehm
Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Time: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Location: Maudine Cow Room, Lower Level, Ohio Union
Join other arts and sciences students for free pizza and informal conversation with Dr. Hollie Nyseth Brehm, assistant professor in the Department of Sociology. Dr. Nyseth Brehm is the 2016 recipient of the College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teaching Award. Dr. Nyseth Brehm studies multiple processes of mass violence, human rights violations and mass crime -- why they occur, how they occur, their effects and responses to them. She is currently examining community-level violence in the genocides that occurred in Rwanda, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Sudan. She is also interested in how societies rebuild after mass violence and is studying the effects of Rwanda's gacaca courts (the courts that tried people who participated in the genocide) through a collaborative project. She is the resident director of a summer term education abroad program in Kigali, Rwanda. Genocide and Its Aftermath in Rwanda.
Past Meetings Have Hosted:
- Dr. Trevon Logan - Chairperson of Economics and a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research
- Dr. Chris Callam – Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Wendy S. Hesford – Department of English
- Dr. Stephen Kern - Department of History
- Dr. Lauren Squires, Department of English
- Dr. Alexander Wendt, Department of Political Science and Mershon Center
- Dr. Lanier Holt, School of Communication
- Dr. Kentaro Fujita, Department of Psychology
- Dr. Christopher Callam, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Dr. Randolph Roth, Department of History & Department of Sociology
- Mr. Dale Gnidovec Curator, Orton Geological Museum
- Dr. Ted Clark, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Dr. Ed Rhine, Department of Sociology & Deputy Director of the Office of Offender Reentry in the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction
- Mr. Noel Paul, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Dr. Joe Steinmetz, Executive Dean of Arts and Sciences and Department of Psychology
- Dr. Janet Parrott, Department of Theatre
- Dr. Brenda Brueggemann, Department of English
- Dr. Clayton Funk, Department of Arts Administration, Education & Policy
- Dr. Richard Herrmann, Department of Political Science
Outstanding Teaching Award (OTA)
First awarded in 1947, the Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teaching Award is particularly notable because the nomination and selection processes are entirely administered by students through the Arts and Sciences Student Council. Each year the faculty winner and finalists are recognized for this honor at the Arts and Sciences Spring Recognition Reception.
Deadline to submit a nomination: December 8, 2016
Outstanding Graduate Associate Teaching Award (OGATA)
Initiated in 2010, the Arts and Sciences Outstanding Graduate Associate Teaching Award recognizes the valuable teaching contributions of Arts and Sciences graduate students. Like the Outstanding Teaching Award, this award is entirely administered by students through the Arts and Sciences Student Council. Each year, the graduate associate winner and finalists are recognized for this honor at the Arts and Sciences Spring Recognition Reception.
Deadline to submit a nomination: December 8, 2016